I take off for New York City in 7 hours! The past few days of planning and preparing have gone quickly as I work around some changes that needed to be made. The most major change is that I will begin my journey in Zürich, Switzerland and not Madrid, Spain. Because I am flying stand-by, there are more open seats on the JFK-ZRH flight than the JFK-MAD flight. Luckily, I got to chat with my Uncle and Aunt, Jim and Carol Carthel, at my grandparent's house on Sunday about some of their experiences while traveling in Europe. Amazingly, they have a friend in Zürich who agreed to host me for my first two nights! What a pleasant surprise! As a side note, I purchased a hammock from REI to take with me in case I can't find anywhere else to sleep :)
Longer exposure while the hammock was swinging.
A boy and his hammock. I am going to get a lot of use of this
I have thought a little more about things and places I want to visit. Some of the most recent are as follows:
- Skiing on the glaciers in Zermatt next to the Matterhorn
- Running with the bulls in Spain
- Attending the Olympic Games in London
- Hiking Toubkal, the tallest mountain in Northern Africa near Marrakesh, Morocco
- Visiting El Teide where "The Mountain" was filmed. This video is partially responsible for me buying my camera and taking this trip. WATCH THIS VIDEO!
- The Summer Solstice festival in Stockholm, Sweden. Di you know that Stockholm is far enough North that their summer nights stay illuminated? Talk about a reason to party!
- Send me your suggestions!
I will have another update tomorrow from either New York City or Zürich, depending on the amount of unforeseen events that take place!
***Because of the associated costs, I do ask that you do not call or text me except in emergency situations. The best way to contact me is through email or Facebook.
Held the red colored fringe of the hammock over the flash to produce a red flash. This image is directly from the camera; no processing.